Saturday, August 16, 2008

Heartbreaking

The Gang of Three met a couple of nights ago. The work of mine that we talked about was Bryton Wyld. One of my gang members was heartbroken at the ending. The gang member wanted the romantic tension resolved in a pairing off, not a breaking up, as the story now stands.

The writing is not perfect--I guess it never is. But I think my gang member's frustrations came because she fell for the characters and their struggle. After Bryton went through so much, with such deep feelings for his romantic interest she wanted them together. But I just do not want it to be that kind of story. Bryton does change. There is a resolution. But it is not the resolution my gang member wanted to see.

Of course, it might be the case that the romantic connection at the end would make the story an easier sell. If I face the dichotomy--cannot sell in a good market with current ending vs. can sell easily in a good market with romantic connection, then let me at my keyboard, I'm editing.

No comments: