Sunday, April 20, 2008

Stunned

We had arrived at church this morning and I was the last one at the van, looking for one of the books I wanted to take inside. I was thinking about another book I read long ago--Kurt Vonnegut's Wampeters, Foma, and Granfaloons.

As I continued searching, I realized that I had not thought about the Vonnegut book in over two decades. Now and then I discuss Vonnegut with people, but I never think of that book. It is a collection of odds and ends from KV's past. For instance, I remembered KV's journalistic reporting on the War of Biafran Secession in the 1960's. When someone is as successful as Vonnegut, he can publish odds and ends and sell them.

Then I walked inside the church building. The first person who said, "hello," was my friend Rick. The next thing he said was, "I remembered that word that I could not remember last time I came over." I did not remember him having any such problem with a word. I figured that he was remembering another visit with another person. Then he said, "The word is 'granfaloon.'"

I was stunned.

Coincidence? Revelation? What?

I tend to believe that revelation is done with a purpose and I can see no purpose in this unusual occurrence.

Stunned.

No comments: