Wednesday, April 30, 2008

First Date

About a month after I met the woman I would eventually marry, she dropped by my dorm room. I said, "I'm about to go across the river to pick up my paycheck. Want to come?"

She said, "Sure."

Years later, people would tell me, "Of course she agreed! You were picking up a paycheck."

We picked up the check from the little gas station where I worked and found the bank that it was written on. While we were at the drive through window, my car ran out of gas.

Yes, I was making a good impression.

She helped me push the car through the drive through. I walked across the street to a gas station, got some gas in a coke bottle, put some in my car's tank, primed the carburator with some, drove across the street and bought more gas.

On the way home, I said, "I have a coupon for a free pizza. Want to get one?" Oh, yes, I was a prince. A real big spender.

At least I payed for a Coke.

She married me anyway.

No comments: