Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Recycleable Movies

Some movies are for one use only and some are recycleable. I just recorded The Usual Suspects on my TiVo. It is highly recycleable.

The most recycleable movie that I know of is Pulp Fiction. I do not typically watch movies that far from church standards, but I did not know what I was getting into at the time and got hooked. Just one hit! I was hooked! It has so many great lines that you have to hear them again. And the jumbled chronology only makes sense the second time through.

I watched Gattaca twice and loved it twice. I am not sure it could hold up for a third time.

I have seen Unforgiven twice and could gladly watch it again. Almost all of Eastwood's movies are recycleable (unless they have apes or are Play Misty For Me).

Oddly enough, I am not someone that The Godfather works for a second time. I've tried. For me the pacing was too slow the first time through.

I recorded Mr. Holland's Opus for my son, since he was in the band (won the John Philip Sousa award). I zipped right through it a second time. A lot happens in that movie, and not much is cause/effect, so I could not remember much of it the first time through.

I have watched Forrest Gump a bunch of times. I can watch it every 3 years or so. In Savannah last year I saw the famous park bench.

Having small children revealed the dark side of recycling. After 50 showings of Disney's The Jungle Book, I heard it in my sleep.

Now and then a movie seems recycleable, but is not. I loved Contact. I enthusiastically started two recycles, but did not finish either.

My wife and I saw Dead Again, which was Kenneth Branagh's U. S. debut. It was an excellent movie. If you have not seen it, please see it. You will love it. Once.

No comments: