Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Daddy, What Happened To The Dinosaurs?

I am a religious believer.

About man's knowledge, I am a skeptic. Back when I was born, a scientist would say to his son, "The dinosaurs are with us. They evolved into the creatures you see, including us." Back then, everyone thought change was gradual and evolutionary.

Then a few decades ago, a scientist colleague of mine would say to his son, "The dinosaurs were all killed when a massive asteroid hit the earth near the Yucatan Peninsula in the Gulf of Mexico."

From what I have recently read, a growing fraction of scientists are telling their kids, "The dinosaurs were killed when huge volcanoes in India poisoned their air."

I love learning about science. But I do not take it seriously. Science is an interesting detective fiction that is rewritten every so often.

No comments: