Thursday, May 15, 2008

Guilty Pleasure

I have eclectic tastes in music. I enjoy Hank Williams, Led Zeppelin, The Clash, Elvis Costello, Wilco, Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Tom Waits, 80's funk, etc.

But I have never found any straight pop music that I liked. I hated hair bands, boy bands, pop princesses, divas (except a few soul divas), and the like.

Then there's Christina. It started with Fighter. I enjoyed the wild strength of her voice and the cadences of the music. I also liked the video where she spent most of her time looking hideous. Her spider garb said "Baba Yaga" to me.

But for a long time I did not hear anything from Christina that I liked. Beautiful? Hork! Get me clear of the furniture. Hatedhatedhatedit along with what I heard of the rest of that album.

Then Christina did James Brown's It's a Man's Man's World at the Grammys. I was dazed.

Enrapt.

When I recovered from listening/watching I replayed her performance again on TiVo. And again. And again.

Wow.

So, yeah, Christina has the powah to make me listen to an ex-pop princess/current diva.

I'm not proud of it.

No comments: