Sunday, December 20, 2009

Debate

We had to debate in my high school speech class.  Tommy and I were assigned "Pro: Immigration should be limited."  Two young ladies were assigned the "con."

Everyone did a week of research and got their arguments and notes together.  My side went first with an opening statement.

Then a member of the other side said to the teacher.  "That was our argument.  We were supposed to have that side." 

Ms. McCartney looked at her assignment book and said, "No.  You had 'Con: Immigration should be limited.'  That means you should argue that immigration should not be limited."

The student said, "But we prepared to show that immigration should be limited."

Tommy and I made an easy A.  I think the teacher was so disgusted by the ladies that we looked good by contrast.

No comments: