Thursday, November 26, 2009

Possible Turkey Disaster

We are eating ribs today.  We have had plenty of turkey and ham on previous holidays.

When I was a kid, my family would often cook non-traditional holiday meals.  We would have rabbit stew on holidays, for instance.  We were among the first to fry a whole turkey.

Back in the 1990s, I fried a turkey for my family.  On the patio, the oil was heated on the outdoor cooker when I lowered the insert containing the turkey into it.  The oil bubbled up, overflowed, and caught fire.  I turned the gas off quickly, to avoid disaster.

Then I could not figure out what to do.  I removed the big pot from the cooker and set it down on the concrete of the patio.  The turkey continued to fry.  I let the pot set there for 40 minutes, frying all the while.  Then the turkey was done.

It was delicious.

No comments: